Marathon Concert Livestream Fundraiser
Live on YouTube Saturday, December 5 1:00-3:00pm
This epic virtual flute concert is a fundraising event to benefit UMFA's flute student Scholarship Program. The scholarship program provides assistance for flute students who demonstrate financial need, and funds are used to help cover the costs of private lessons, master classes, summer music camps, or flute pedagogy training.
Flutists of all ages and levels, from beginner students to professionals, are invited to submit a recorded video performance which will be compiled and broadcast during a special live streamed fundraiser on UMFA's YouTube Channel. Let us hear which special pieces have been bringing you joy during the pandemic, or spread a little holiday cheer (costumes optional), all while supporting the scholarship fund to expand access to flute opportunities to students in the Upper Midwest!
We welcome all types of flutes and all styles of music. Consider using virtual accompaniment, involving other musicians in your household, or putting together virtual collaborations using the acapella app or other video editing software. If you choose to collaborate with other musicians, please follow local guidelines to do so safely.
- Submit entry via Dropbox link provided in registration form
- Deadline Friday, November 20, 11:59pm
- Video limit 8 minutes for individual performers, maximum 10 minutes for groups
Video instructionsRegistration opens November 1st. The first 20 entries will be guaranteed a spot on the concert. Submission due Sunday, November 29, 11:59 pm
- Record your video with a landscape frame (side-to-side), not portrait (up-and-down)
- Performers are encouraged to introduce themselves in their video. Tell viewers your name (first and last, or first name only is fine) and what you are playing. You may speak a little bit about why you chose the piece or why it is important to you to support UMFA and the scholarship fund.
- You may trim the beginning and end of the video if you wish (optional) but Please do not add any additional effects or text. This will be done by our production team to achieve a consistent appearance for all videos.
Submit video file
Individual performers, or at least one member of a performing group, must be an active UMFA member in good standing, and pay a minimum $15 donation to the Scholarship Fund when registering. One member from each group will submit the registration form. Additional group members, non-flutist performers, and accompanists are not required to be UMFA members, but are encouraged to make an additional donation.
The minimum $15 donation per individual/group performer is paid via online registration. Additional donations can also be included in the registration, or can be submitted during the live event at https://www.umfaflutes.org/support.
Performers are encouraged to share the live stream link with friends and family. Prizes will be awarded to the individual/group performer who raises the most total money and most individual donations during the live broadcast.
We are looking for hosts during the live broadcast to introduce performances and provide live updates on fundraising totals. Contact our volunteer coordinator Kara Swanson if you would like to serve as a host during the event from your home via Zoom. Volunteers will attend one online training session (approximately 30 minutes) prior to the live stream.
Other ways to help
Tax-deductible monetary & instrument donations to the scholarship program are accepted year-round.